Rose Tree Park - Hunt Club
1521 N. Providence Road
Media, PA 19063
The Delaware County Solid Waste Authority is committed to excellence. Our goal is to provide the county with an outstanding, but necessary service while preserving the environment and natural resources of the future. The county's trash is recycled into energy (electricity) through a combustion process producing a byproduct (ash) that makes an outstanding cover for the county landfill.
Our motto, reduce, reuse, and recycle is evidenced by the various programs we provide. A successful curbside recycling program is run by the individual municipalities. Glass, aluminum, bimetallic cans and plastic bottles are collected in County maintained Igloo containers throughout the County. Click here to be directed to a list of locations.
Four Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collections are held in Delaware County, annually. Through a collective effort with Bucks, Chester, Montgomery Counties as well as the City of Philadelphia, there are more than 30 opportunities, annually, to dispose of your hazardous waste. At our one-day collection events we accept harmful chemicals accumulated from your home or garage. (Our events are not open to businesses.) For a current list of dates, locations, and what items are accepted, please visit HHW Collections Web Page
The Delaware County Solid Waste Authority is responsible for:
Issuance of permits for all commercial and residential vehicles to dispose of trash at the Transfer Stations;
Monitoring of trash at the Transfer Stations and enforcement of County ordinances dealing with refuse collection, permitting, and disposal;
Planning, developing, designing, and administering - in cooperation with other appropriate departments and agencies of government - the expansion and modification of facilities for which the Solid Waste Authority is responsible;
Advising County Council on matters pertaining to the responsibilities of the Authority;
Providing management through inspection, coordination, and approval of payments for the transferal of trash materials;
Obtaining and administering state funding available for the enhancement of recycling and other programs for which the Authority is responsible.
You may contact The Delaware County Solid Waste Authority at 610-892-9620.
The Delaware County Solid Waste Authority (DCSWA) was established originally as the Delaware County Incinerator Authority in 1954. The County Commissioners at the time formed the Authority to acquire, hold, construct, improve, maintain and operate...an incinerator plant or plants for public use. Three incinerators were constructed in the late 1950's and operated until 1979 when they were closed. Two of the incinerators were established as Transfer Stations (Plant #1 in Chester Township and Plant #3 in Marple Township) to accept and handle approximately 500,000 tons of commercial and residential trash annually generated in the County. From the Transfer Station, the trash was trucked to various landfills outside of Delaware County.
In 1984 the Delaware County Council adopted a resolution requesting that the Delaware County Incinerator Authority acquire the Rolling Hills Landfill (formerly Colebrookdale Landfill) in Earl Township, Berks County, through a purchase of stock. The majority of all County trash had been disposed of at Rolling Hills for years prior to the proposed acquisition. The purchase of the Landfill was completed in 1985 and the name of Delaware County Incinerator Authority was changed to the Delaware County Solid Waste Authority.
All of the solid waste processed through the two Transfer Stations continued to be shipped to Rolling Hills until 1992 when the Chester Resource Recovery Facility (RRF) was opened. The RRF was owned and operated by the Westinghouse Corporation until April of 1997 when American Ref-Fuel assumed ownership. In 2005, American Ref-Fuel sold the plant to Covanta Energy Corporation, the present operators of RRF. Today, approximately 400,000 tons of commercial and residential trash annually generated in the County is processed at the RRF with the ash residue shipped to Rolling Hills Landfill.